Google+ Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas: Fall Fun: Sensory Acorn Craft & Exploration

Friday, November 18, 2011

Fall Fun: Sensory Acorn Craft & Exploration

You can't celebrate fall without talking about acorns.
We did a fun sensory craft using coffee and oatmeal to make an acorn.
Coffee and oatmeal both have great textures and a fabulous scent.

 Coffee & Oatmeal Acorn Craft


What You Need:
1. acorn template 
(I drew ours onto card stock)


2. brown & white paint
3. glue
4. paintbrushes


5. coffee grounds
6. oatmeal


What To Do:
1. Cut out the acorn shape
- for younger children this step can be done ahead of time for them


2. mix in some glue with the paint

3. Paint the acorn using your paint/glue mixtures-
brown for the bottom & white for the top.


4. Add coffee grounds to the bottom of the acorn (brown section)


5. Add oatmeal to top of acorn (white part).
6. Pat everything down firmly to ensure coffee and oatmeal 
stick to wet paint/glue.


7. Allow some drying time before shaking off excess coffee & oatmeal.


8. Shake off excess coffee and oatmeal -
I did it sideways so that the oatmeal and coffee did not mix


The acorns look and smell great!

Acorn Exploration

I was so excited when we happened upon these little acorns while shopping  that even the hubby helped me root around the ground to pick some for the Lil Divas!

They were a hit, especially with the youngest Diva who found them "so small & cute". I let her explore them both by hand and with a magnifying glass.



We discussed how they feel and smell 
and she had fun pulling the tops off and peeking inside.

Acorn Math

Then the Littlest Diva used the acorns to practice number recognition.

I printed out some acorn number cards and the Lil Diva had to identify the number and count out the corresponding number of acorns.



I wish we had greater access to fall items like acorns, nuts and leaves. I LOVE the fall & it would be wonderful to explore all the wonderful items it has to offer in nature with the Lil Divas.

Books We Read:

Enjoy all of our Fall Fun,
Bern

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    What fun! JDaniel loves things with texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coffee-oat acorn project. I bet it smells delightful.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool acorn craft! I love the different textures & smells you incorporated - LOVE it!
    BETH (TGIF)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. I have been looking for ideas of things to do with nursing home patients and will borrow some of your ideas.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the photo of her using a magnifying glass. Things are so interesting when you get up close!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, what a fun kinda messy craft. I bet they loved it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun and I bet it smells divine :)

    I would love for you to share this on my linky party, Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land (http://adventures-in-mommy-land.blogspot.com/2011/11/hey-mom-look-what-i-did-7.html).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your acorn craft. How cute and I bet it makes the room smell nice too. I hate coffee but love the smell of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land...hope to see you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish we had acorns around our house. I really haven't seen many since we moved to Pittsburgh. lots of fun activities here. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cool acorn! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/coffee-and-oatmeal-acorn/

    Thanks for another wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the espresso oat oak seed project. I bet it smells wonderful. Have an incredible end of the week! quality roofing and siding services

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking for a personal bankruptcy lawyers near me Our skilled legal team is here to help you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas! I hope you will stay awhile to explore all we have to offer!