Google+ Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas: January Winter Theme - M is for Mitten (Painting)

Friday, January 28, 2011

January Winter Theme - M is for Mitten (Painting)

Book:
A Mountain of Mittens by Lynn Plourde

"Don't forget your mittens!" Molly's parents warn her of this every morning but something always happens causing Molly (and many other children) to repeatedly leave their mittens behind at school! Until there are "Mittens, Mittens. My oh, my! A Mountain of Mittens piled up high!"  This book is full of hilarious antics and funny & colorful illustrations involving children and their mittens. The Lil Divas were in constant fits of giggles while I read it to them.

The colorful illustrations of the numerous designs on the mittens in this story gave me the idea for our activity!

Activity: Mitten Painting Fun

Materials:
- paint (we used washable crayola paint)
- paint brushes
-white construction or drawing paper (you can use something more durable but this worked just fine!)

Prep: Cut out a large mitten shape on white paper. I just drew it freehand and cut out a few (in case of mistakes or if they wanted to do more than 1)

Here is what mine looked like:


Then I just let the girls paint freely and this is what they came up with:






Happy Mitten Painting!

Letter M Review: Macaroni M

This is great to practice those fine motor skills! I gave the girls a large pre-written template of both Upper & Lower Case Mm.

Materials:
-large sheet of construction paper (any color)
-marker (to write the letters M & m)
- liquid glue
-macaroni

Here's the end result for easy reference:


Step 1: Trace over the letters using liquid glue


Step 2: Glue the macaroni to the letters - be sure to encourage the correct way to write the letter! It's great practice!



Enjoy!

Bern

P.S - Don't forget our Lil Diva Birthday Review & Giveaway Extravaganza begins tomorrow! Be sure to stop by all week & see what's up for grabs! :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and linking up.

    I am following GFC and on twitter as CandidaJourney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following you from the blog hop. If you have a chance stop over at my blog and website and check it out. I look forward to learning more about you and your blog.

    http://thecryptocapersseries.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    Renee

    www.reneeahand.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. New here from the blog hop. You have some great ideas!
    www.doablediapers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable mittens! Thanks for following! I'm following back! Can't wait to see more of your blog!

    -Mom is the Only Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new GFC follower from Say Hi Sunday. I hope you'll check out my blog too!

    Lisa
    www.LisaBlogs.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas! I hope you will stay awhile to explore all we have to offer!